For about $1 per square foot, these are the essential specialty ingredients that are absolutely necessary for high-quality concrete countertops and cannot be obtained from a local home center or contractor supply store.
This set includes the following items:
- Pozzolan (VCAS), one 50-lb bag
- Superplasticzer, one 1-quart jug
- Viscosity Modifier, one 500-gram bag
- Buddy Rhodes Signature Series Ultrafine Pigment (optional)
- The self-study video course is also optional, but highly recommended, for a complete explanation of these ingredients, the mix design, and 7.5 hours of live action videos of every step from templating to installation!
The first 3 ingredients will make the following quantities of concrete using the mix formula in the Level 1 Getting Started self-study video course:
- 80 sq ft at 1.5″ thick (about 8.0 sq m at 40 mm thick)
- 60 sq ft at 2″ thick (about 6.4 sq m at 50 mm thick)
That is typically enough for a small kitchen countertop plus a bathroom countertop. Kitchen countertops tend to be about 40 sq ft if they don’t have an island and 80 sq ft if they do, and bathroom countertops tend to be either 6 or 12 sq ft.
The Ultrafine Pigment comes in 15 popular colors designed by Buddy Rhodes himself, in 1-lb bags designed for easy dosing. To determine how much pigment to order:
- Determine how many square feet/meters of countertop you are making and at what thickness.
- Divide that number by the appropriate conversion factors in the list below (representing the number of sq ft/m each bag of pigment will make).
- Round up to the next whole number.
- For 1.5″ thick: Divide sq ft by 5.00
- For 2″ thick: Divide sq ft by 3.75
- For 40 mm thick: Divide sq m by 1.00
- For 50 mm thick: Divide sq m by 0.80